Archives for January 2009

Too much fun?

One of the things we worry about right now is whether we’ll be able to endure the amount of fun that you’re going to add to our lives all at once. One of your uncles has this theory of child-rearing that says there should always be one more adult than there are children. We won’t have that option right away. When you two come out, POOF! The numbers will be even. In some ways, that means that both of your momma’s get one of you, but in truth, it will take more than two of us to care for you in the beginning.

Thank goodness that at least one set of grandparents live near by, even if just to provide a temporary respite.

Right now may in fact be one of the easier parts of being a parent. You see, we get all the joy and excitement of knowing that you are coming, but none of the screaming, dirty-diapers, or sleepless nights. I think that 90% of the time now is spent in excitement and anticipation of your arrival. The other 10% consists of brief flashes of sheer, abject terror. Oh, and the poor dog… she has no clue what is coming our way. On the other-hand, we may let her give you the pre-wash after meals and before bath-time as a way to compensate her for the hair you are going to pull out with your tiny fingers.

Other family members tell us to appreciate things like “going out” and “sleeping in” while we can. We are told that it will be many nights — perhaps months, from when you are born to the time that we can actually sleep through an entire evening without being woken up. Well, little-ones, both of your momma’s really like to sleep in on weekends, and we’re going to miss that big time.

Changing Perspectives

People say that becoming a parent changes them. It’s already started. For one thing, in church today there were a number of children sitting behind us making noise. I heard the parents trying to keep their little-ones quiet, but with only partial success. And so now I’m thinking that your mommas are going to be in that spot by this time next year. So not only do I find myself more tolerant and gracious towards these parents, but I’m also paying attention to what works and what doesn’t.

We stopped by the library on the way home to pick up some travel books, and I found myself paying closer attention to the children’s section. It occurred to me that by this time next year, we may find ourselves in that part of the library quite a bit, looking for all manner and number of stories to read to you two.

We were also wondering how competitive you two are going to end up being with each other, and whether being boys, girls, or one of each will make a difference in what you compete on. Oh, there’s just so many things that will have to unfold, all in due time.

It’s like an incredibly interesting and intriguing story, part mystery, part adventure, part love-story. Today, we’re still in the prologue, but already I find myself so incredibly engrossed in the story that I’m eagerly looking forward to how it all turns out — to how you two turn out. Plus, there’s the notion that your mommas get to play a large role in the direction that the story goes, but that even at our very best, ours is merely a role of guidance, influence, and direction to you two, who will be the primary actors in the stories of your own lives.

The Bump

Hello, my little people! Momma-1 has been concerned about getting bigger around the middle, and not sure if that’s because she has not been going to the gym, or because you two are growing. I can confirm at this point that it’s definitely because you two are growing. Momma now has “the bump” on her tummy where you are taking up more room, and it’s not squishy enough to be flab. Momma is now 85cm across the belly button.

Sure, you two are going to make Momma absolutely huge before you come out into the world, but this still marks some of the early outward signs of all that is going in inside Call it an early victory bump. The other sign would be the morning sickness, but the bump is definitely more pleasant. Both of us out here have recently started telling more people about you two, and that we expect you to be born some time in July.